Water Damage to Your Property
After the plumber has fixed the leak, the flooding has subsided, or the fire department has left, getting your structure and your belongings properly dried and cleaned is crucial to a quick and successful restoration.
Moisture can cause mildew, fungus, and mold to grow and can attract insects, termites and even rodents. These factors can destroy the very foundation of a home and your belongings.
At SERVPRO of Chesapeake North, we have the expertise and equipment to properly restore your property after water damage to your home or business. Our experience and scientific approach to water removal and water cleanup enable us to properly dry and restore your property, and your assets.
Every water damage incident varies and requires its own unique solution, however our restoration process stays the same. Want to know what to expect? Check out our process here.
SERVPRO of Chesapeake North has been helping families and businesses in Hampton Roads since the 90’s. Call us at 757-465-9700.
Do You Have an Emergency Plan for Your Business in Chesapeake?
Be Emergency Ready Chesapeake! Our app is a no-cost readiness plan that places your ready plan data on your mobile device for quick access during an emergency. You can download the free app today and contact us for a rep to get you started!
The SERVPRO® Ready Plan is a tool for property managers and owners, both residential and commercial.
It allows for the creation of an Emergency READY Profile. By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action.
Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your home or business.
Commercial Storm Damage Restoration in Chesapeake
Storms and inclement weather can bring wind damage, heavy rain, and flooding that can devastate any business in a matter of minutes.
Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
Want a Free Business Assessment? Call Us Today at 757-465-9700
Never Too Early to Prepare Your Home for Winter Weather
Now is the time to start making a checklist for prepping your home for the cold, winter weather.
Tips for Preparing Your Home for Winter Weather:
- Keep your cabinet doors open during cold spells as this will allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water running through your faucets, especially those that run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off your outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn to “off.”
- If you do shut off your outdoor faucet, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure that your gutters are clean and in good shape, secured. Leaves and such can clog and cause a damming effect which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace, HVAC system can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
SERVPRO of Chesapeake North specializes in storm damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained, and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
What To Do After A Fire
While the fire is always the immediate danger, once it's gone, what it leaves behind will continue to affect your home and everything inside it. Ash and smoke, if left and not cleaned by professionals, will leave extensive corrosion, etching and discoloration and don't forget about those lingering odors. So what's the first step to your homes recovery and what should you know?
- Don't risk doing further damage by attempting to clean up the damage yourself.
- You should call your insurance carrier and file a claim.
- Then call SERVPRO of Chesapeake North to assess the damage. We will then communicate with your insurance company to plan the damage recovery process, and the process will be explained to you.
The sooner you contact us the better, because damage will continue and your structure and all your contents will have much more extensive damage to them. Carpets may become permanently discolored, glass may be severely etched and those odors aren't just odors. They're acidic and filled with toxins that can be harmful to you and the longer they stay, the more damage it will cause on your home.
Keys Things to Avoid:
- Do not wipe or attempt to wash residue from walls, ceilings, or absorbent surfaces.
- Do not use carpeting or upholstered furniture impacted by heavy smoke residue or debris.
- Do not use food items or canned goods exposed to heat.
- Don't turn on computers, TV's, stereos or electrical appliances until they have been professionally cleaned and checked.
We Are an IICRC Certified Firm
IICRC stands for the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. Once you become IICRC certified in Water Damage Restoration, you have then pledged to perform services with skill, honestly and integrity to provide the consumer with the highest standard of care and expertise.
Here at SERVPRO of Chesapeake North, we believe in the importance of restoration and remediation knowledge across all aspects of our employees. Whether you are out in the field handing the services, or in the office speaking on the phone with the customer, it is important that everyone is educated on our services.
That's why SERVPRO of Chesapeake hosts multiple trainings throughout the year for our technicians, project managers, office staff and even our sales and marketing team. Although they may not be in your home or office handling your water damage, our certified office staff can certainly assist you with their certified knowledge and expertise in water damage restoration!
Tips for Handling Water Damage
If you experience a water damage in your home, our SERVPRO of Chesapeake North team understands the stress and uncertainty that comes with it. That's why we want to give you some tips and tricks you can do at home before the professionals arrive.
- Locate and shut off the water valve at the source if applicable
- Remove and soak up excess or standing water by mopping and laying down towels
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery and cushions against walls for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs to help stop the damage from affecting furniture
- Remove Oriental or other colored rugs from wet carpeting and place in a dry location
- DO NOT use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- DO NOT turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of areas where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Collect important papers Do not leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpeting.
Please call SERVPRO of Chesapeake North at 757-465-9700 to professionally handle the water damage and mitigation process in your home or business.
Importance of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
What is PPE and why is it so important?
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, "Personal protective equipment, commonly referred to as "PPE", is equipment worn to minimize exposure to hazards that cause serious workplace injuries and illnesses. These injuries and illnesses may result from contact with chemical, radiological, physical, electrical, mechanical, or other workplace hazards. Personal protective equipment may include items such as gloves, safety glasses and shoes, earplugs or muffs, hard hats, respirators, or coveralls, vests and full body suits."
PPE is worn by our SERVPRO professionals to reduce the exposure to biohazards and other hazardous materials that could cause illnesses or injuries while on the job. Our SERVPRO of Chesapeake North team will don PPE for various reasons. It will help our employees in the following ways:
- Protect workers from threat of viral pathogens in affected area
- Protect area from potential contamination by our workers
- Protect from harmful contaminants in water or particulates in the air during our fire restoration & water mitigation work
During the Corona Virus Pandemic of 2020, our team has been and will continue to clean and sanitize multiple businesses using our specialized cleaning and disinfecting products. This requires our employee to be in full PPE attire during the entire process.
Our SERVPRO cleaning and disinfecting products are safe when used appropriately by a professional and also according to label directions. PPE isn't to protect workers from disinfectants, but to help protect the space from workers.
How to Know if Water Damage is Covered
You’ve been cleaning up around the house, your dishwasher has been running and you walk in to the kitchen to find standing water at the base of the dishwasher. Naturally, you clean up the water mess. Next day, you notice that the flooring has buckled. Will your homeowner's insurance cover the cost to fix the flooring?
Most likely because this water damage was sudden and accidental which standard homeowner's insurance policies usually provide this kind of protection. Same holds true if the water heater ruptures or a water pipe bursts and damages the drywall or the ceiling.
What May Not Be Covered
- Damage from an unresolved maintenance issue-the flooring from this dishwasher leak should be repaired or replaced, but if you've had a continuous leak near a faucet or other plumbing fixtures, it may not be covered.
- The Cause of the Water Damage Loss-Most insurance policies will cover the cost to repair the damage, but you shouldn't count on the insurance company replacing the culprit, like the dishwasher.
- Sewer or Drain Water Backup- If water backs up into your home through an outside sewer or drain line, more than likely you have no coverage. You may be able to purchase additional coverage to protect you from this kind of emergency disaster.
- Flood-No type of flood damage is protected by your standard homeowners’ policy. Whether the flooding occurred as a result of a storm, or a water surge, it does not matter. You can purchase a separate flood insurance policy, however, depending on your location, and your mortgage company, a flood insurance policy may be required when buying a home.
Contact us with any questions or concerns about water damage caused by a flood at SERVPRO of Chesapeake North, 757-465-9700.
How To Clean Gutters
Gutters have an important job to keep water away from the perimeter of your house. However, they need our help to keep them unclogged from debris so as they can continue to function properly. If you maintain the cleaning of your gutters, you can help prevent water damage and keep your house looking great.
Make sure that you have a sturdy and safe ladder with ample extension to access your gutters.
Clean the Downspout
Start the cleaning of your gutters at the downspout. Remove the horizontal extension pipe and shoot water from a water hose down into the pipe to remove any blockage or debris. When clear, the water should run out the other side.
Using a trowel or your gloved hands remove any debris that is trapped letting it fall to the ground.
Flush with Water
Use a water hose to remove any remaining debris that could potentially cause a blockage in your gutter system. If water does not flow out and down the system, you may find a plumber's snake to be useful to loosen and remove the blockage.
Contact us if you experience water damage from a storm or have questions at SERVPRO of Chesapeake North, 757-465-9700.
File Business Claim After Smoke Damage
Did your commercial building or the suite next to yours recently have a fire and now you smell smoke or have smoke related damage? Is smoke damage a covered loss on your commercial insurance policy? Learn more about what you need to know about smoke claims.
Soot Damage and Insurance
Good news is that in most cases, damage from smoke will be covered under your commercial insurance policy. Remember the sooner you act upon following these steps, could help improve the restoration of your property to its preloss condition. Your preparedness could also help with your insurance company approving your claim.
- Get in touch with your insurance company or agent and file a claim, report the smoke damage.
- Call a professional smoke cleanup company to help assess your loss and provide details of the cleanup process.
- Take photos of any damaged items, and documents, receipts for any repairs that need to be performed.
- Know that your insurance company will send an adjuster to survey the damage.
- Know that your insurance company will require proof that the money they pay you will be going towards your restoration and repair.
Smoke damage claims and the efforts to communicate with your adjuster may be challenging. However, if you have done your due diligence in following these steps, your post-fire experience can be a positive one.
SERVPRO of Chesapeake North is here to help with the fire damage, the soot damage or the smoke damage.