Collect, Protect Essential Records Before An Emergency
SERVPRO of Chesapeake North is "Always here to help."
Collect, Protect Essential Records Before An Emergency
When we advise people to collect and protect important paperwork, we are referring to any important documents and personal data that might serve as proof of your insurance or identity or instruct others on how to help you in an emergency. This important paperwork includes an Emergency Action Plan, and medical, vital, and immunization records.
Copies of medical documents and advance directives should include: Health insurance card, vaccination records, living wills and power of attorney forms, birth & death certificates and adoption records
Personal Id's to include: Passports, driver's licenses, social security cards, green cards
A current care plan for a child with special needs.
User manuals, models, and serial numbers, and contact information for the manufacturer of medical devices, like glucose meters and nebulizers.
Keep an up to date list of all your prescription medications with dosage amounts, your eye prescription, your medical supply needs and any known allergies.
Save electronic copies of important papers in a password protected format to a flash drive or an external hard drive or a cloud-based service. You should store these items in a fire proof container or with a trusted friend or relative, or even a safety deposit box at a bank.
Pet owners make copies of your pet’s vet records like rabies certificate, prescriptions and a recent photo of your pet(s).
Whatever happens, we’ll be there with you and your community, every step of the way, in your journey back, “Like it never even happened.”
Ahead of the Storm
SERVPRO of Chesapeake North will help clean up the storm damage in Chesapeake.
Hurricane Prep Guide
Getting prepared for a hurricane in Hampton Roads is not only about buying lots of water or filling up the gas tank. There are steps needed to help protect you and your family if your home is threatened by a hurricane.
Stock Emergency Supplies
- Water & Food at least a 3-day supply for you and your pet
- Tools like flashlights, extra batteries, a wrench, plastic sheeting & duct tape, trash bags
- Medical Hygiene and Cleaning Supplies like a first-aid kit, necessary medications, glasses, contact lenses, moist towelettes, toothpaste, and personal hygiene products
- Personal Items, like sleeping bag for each person and change of clothing
- Activities like books, games, playing cards, paper, pencils and pens
- Radio for NOAA weather radio with tone alert and extra batteries
- Other Items like a whistle to signal for help
Prepare and Protect Your Property
- Do a Home Inventory with contents of closets, drawers and cabinets? Store your home inventory lists, photographs and video tapes in a waterproof place off the premises. Keep receipts of high valued items, which may separate insurance coverage. Always update your home inventory after making large purchases.
Review Your Insurance Policies
- Is everything up to date? If you’ve done any major renovation or made a major purchase, make sure your insurance agent is aware to help determine if your current limits are enough to cover the value.
- Coverage for additional living expenses in case you can’t live in your home until it has been restored from damages.
- What about flood damage? Do you have coverage?
- Do you have comprehensive coverage on your car insurance policy? What happens if a tree falls on it or water, wind or flying debris damages your car?
Plan Your Evacuation
- Become familiar with alternate routes in case travel becomes treacherous or traffic congested
- If you don’t have a car, plan on how you will leave if you need to evacuate; make plans with family or friends or your local government or aid agencies
- Plan what you will do with your pets, leave them with family, take them with you or to a kennel
- Keep a road map in your car in case you need another route on unfamiliar roads
- Prepare a bag or file with important papers, like your homeowner’s insurance policy, keep it with you.
If you have suffered water damage after a storm, SERVPRO of Chesapeake North is prepared to assist you after the storm to clean up the mess and help restore your home to its pre-storm condition. We are “Always Here to Help.” Call us at 757-465-9700.
Document Restoration in Chesapeake
After a disaster, documents, photographs, and books could be lost forever. SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North knows that a quick response and action is crucial to saving and recovering damaged possessions. With access to a restoration facility, state of the art technology and equipment, our restoration professionals will help recover your paper goods.
Document Restoration Facility:
- We use the latest vacuum freeze-drying method, as well as gamma irradiation technology for sterilizing.
- Documents are managed by HIPPA Master=certified technicians under 24/7 surveillance.
- We use a computerized inventory system for digitizing your documents.
- We can accommodate large commercial losses or small residential jobs.
- We offer a range of services that include drying, cleaning/disinfecting, re-jacketing, digitizing, and deodorizing.
Types of document item we restore:
- Paper documents, books and magazines, manuscripts and files, photographs, films, negatives, microfiche, x-rays, blueprints, maps, and parchment.
Document Cleaning & Disinfecting is necessary in instances when documents have been contaminated and exposed to bacteria, viruses, pesticides, or other harmful chemicals. Our gamma irradiation technology is used to safety and effectively sterilize your documents.
Digitizing Services can convert your paper files and photos to help save storage space and enable your access to them with a touch of a button, keeping them safe from a flood or fire.
Need your valuable documents restored? Call Today- 757-465-9700
SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North Suggests Action Before a Storm Arrives
Residential Storm & Water Damage Cleanup in Chesapeake
SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North wants Virginia Residents to Always Be Storm Ready
SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North encourages everyone to remember the importance of disaster preparedness. The key to disaster preparedness is having an emergency plan in place before the disaster hits. Here are a few simple steps that can make the difference in protecting and keeping your family safe and protecting your property from weather related damage.
Stay Informed. Know your flood zone for your property and your neighborhood and know the evacuation route should your evacuation become necessary. Listen to your local news and authorities for direction.
Make a Family Emergency Plan. Disaster may not strike when you and your family are together at home. Plan now for a meeting place and how you will contact each other. Visit ready.gov to access a Family Emergency Plan template to help with your planning.
Prepare your property. You may need to prepare your home for the impact of a storm or hurricane. Covering all your windows in your home will help to protect it. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows; however, the second-best option is to board up the windows with plywood. Tape will not prevent your windows from breaking. Trim your trees and bushes that are around your home and clear any debris from rain spouts and gutters. Secure outdoor furniture, trash receptacles, decorations and anything else not secured and can become projectile.
Establish a SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile for Your Business. SERVPRO® developed the SERVPRO® Emergency READY Program to help business owners create an Emergency READY Profile® (ERP) for their facility, at no charge. The business owner will collaborate with our rep to compartmentalize relevant building and emergency contact info to access when an emergency strikes.
Effects of Water Damage
Water Damage Cleanup in Chesapeake
Why it's important to act quickly
Water damage is a dread that many property owners hope not to have to suffer. However, it’s a valid concern here in Hampton Roads especially after a heavy downpour, or a storm surge.
Water damage can cost thousands of dollars of damage to your furniture, electronics, upholstery, appliances, and even your plumbing. Water damage can also increase the risk of mold growth and contamination which can involve a costly mold remediation. Hiring SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North, your local water damage restoration company will help make the cleanup easier and quicker. Our experienced and trained technicians know the best ways to repair or replace the water damaged items and to clean up the water damage.
Water damage restoration is very important as well as the procedures. The right procedures can help to save your cherished belongings as well as help to keep your home from being condemned. SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North knows how to mitigate the effects of water damage and have experts to assess the water damage and determine a water restoration and removal plan. We use high tech equipment and well documented procedures to control water damage. Water in a basement may only require a short cleanup process, but water in other areas of the property will require more extensive remediation.
If you suffer a water damage loss in Chesapeake, call your local SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North, available 24/7 every day. We are “Always here to help.”
Water Damage Effects and Risks
Flood or water damage cleanup in Chesapeake
Effects of Water Damage
Causes of Water Damage
We have seen many causes of water damage in Chesapeake. Clogged toilets, overflowing washing machines, broken dishwasher hoses, plumbing leaks, broken pipes and cracked foundations are just a few reasons for damage to homes and businesses. Floods from heavy rain where the ground can’t absorb it quick enough or storm surges from a Nor’easter have caused extensive water damage to our area residents. The water damage can be minor, or it can be major leading to destruction of the home or business. As soon as the water threat is over, immediate water damage cleanup is vital to helping to save your water-soaked furniture, carpet, rugs, clothing and other possessions.
Acting quickly after water damage is very important and calling your local IICRC water damage cleanup and restoration professional, SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North will help to ensure a quick response and water damage recovery.
Moisture feeds mold and other organisms, both of which can cause serious health problems. Mold can grow after water damage with 48 hours. We know that cleaning up the water damage immediately can help mitigate the health effects for everyone in a commercial or home space.
If you have suffered a flood or water damage emergency, call your local SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North, available for you 24/7 every day.
SERVPRO® Emergency Preparedness Tips
Storm Damage Cleanup by SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North 757-465-9700
SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North Encourages Virginia Residents to be Storm Ready
A Few Steps to Prepare and Protect Your Family
It's the beginning of hurricane season on the Atlantic coast and SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North would like for everyone to remember the importance of disaster preparedness. The key to disaster preparedness is having an emergency plan in place before the disaster hits. Acting with a few simple steps can make the difference in protecting and keeping your family safe and protecting your property from weather related damage.
Build a basic emergency supply kit stocked with enough water and food for a minimum of three days for you and for each of your family members, pets included. Be mindful to include any necessary medications. Recommended emergency supply kit items include:
- Water (one gallon/per person/per day)
- Three-day supply of non-perishable foods
- Manual can opener
- Battery or solar powered radio, preferably a NOAA weather radio
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust masks or bandanas
- Local map
- Important documents, such as insurance policies, bank account information, passwords, and identifications
- Matches (in a waterproof container) and/or lighter
Make a Family Emergency Plan. A Disaster may not strike when you and your family are together at home. Plan now for a meeting place and how you will contact each other. Visit ready.gov to access a Family Emergency Plan template to help with your planning.
Stay Informed. Know your flood zone for your property and your neighborhood and know the evacuation route should evacuation become necessary. Listen to your local news and authorities for direction.
Prepare your property. You may need to prepare your home for the impact of a storm or hurricane. Covering all your windows in your home will help to protect it. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows; however, the second-best option is to board up the windows with plywood. Tape will not prevent your windows from breaking. Trim your trees and bushes that are around your home and clear any debris from rain spouts and gutters. Secure outdoor furniture, trash receptacles, decorations and anything else not secured that could become projectile.
Establish a SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile for Your Business. SERVPRO® developed the SERVPRO® Emergency READY Program to help business owners create an Emergency READY Profile® (ERP) for their facility, at no charge. The business owner works with SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North to gather and document information that will become critical if a disaster strike. Once the ERP is created, business owners have access to their own information 24/7 online and by using SERVPRO’s free smartphone app. Contact us at 757-465-9700 to get set up.
Commercial Air Duct Cleaning
Commercial Air Duct Cleaning in Chesapeake
Running a business is staying busy so who thinks about air ducts or the quality of the air that you are breathing? The fact is, air ducts deserve attention. Regular maintenance to your air duct system can help improve the productivity of your HVAC systems and the quality of your air.
The truth is, a facility manager may not even think about the air ducts until the system stops heating or cooling. A ductwork system is designed to distribute airflow from your HVAC equipment to your entire commercial building. This encompasses the air that is sucked from the whole building in the air conditioner/heater where it gets cooled or heated and then pushed back via the ducts into your working space.
The intake and output of the air are determined by how efficient a duct system is. Only air is moved via ductwork. What’s more is that there are many ductwork constructions and shapes. They may be oval, round or rectangular in shape. It might be fashioned from a wide range of materials like flexible plastics, fiberglass or different metals.
There are several types of commercial HVAC systems and most have an air duct system. Roof top units are most common and found on the roof or ground and duct the conditioned air into the space.
SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North has National Air Duct certified technicians who will inspect your HVAC air duct system at no charge. After the inspection, you will receive a report and a quote to clean your commercial system. We offer scheduled maintenance cleanings that will help to keep your system running more efficient and help to provide good air quality.
Think you have dirty ducks? Call us at 757-465-9700.
Reasons to Keep Your Air Ducts Clean
Air Duct Cleaning in Chesapeake
Isn't the quality of your indoor air as important as the quality of the air you breathe outside? There are indoor irritants in the air you breathe like pollen, dust, and pet dander that encompass more than simply changing your equipment's air filter.
These irritants and contaminants collect in your air duct system and can only be removed with scheduled cleanings. You should consider it as a part of your HVAC maintenance and a vital part of ensuring your employees health and your business cleanliness. Here are a few reasons why you should keep your ducts cleaned.
- Clogging of the ducts- Irritants like dust can clog your air ducts causing your HVAC equipment to work less effectively. The clogging can also cause health issues.
- You may be losing efficiency- If your air ducts are clogged, your equipment will be forced to work harder to maintain your temperature settings. This results in higher utility bills and an inefficient system.
- Presence of mold- Mold is hazardous to your health. Mold can aggravate or cause health problems like asthma and allergies. An odor like the smell of dirty socks coming from your air vents can indicate the presence of mold in your HVAC system.
- Presence of trapped critters- Occasionally rodents, birds or insects can become entrapped in the air duct system. Any odor coming from the air vent system requires attention.
SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North will inspect your air duct system at no cost. You will learn of the results and get a recommended plan of action. Commercial cleaning and maintenance plans are available. Call us today at 757-465-9700.
How to Protect Against Water Damage
Water Damage Cleanup in Chesapeake
How to Protect Against Water Damage
Here are some steps to take to help minimize your risk.
It could be a flooded bathroom or a water heater leak in your attic, and you know that the water damage could be costly to repair. We’ve got some home improvement suggestions to help make water damage less likely.
- Replace old pipes. Home piping usually has a life span of 50 to 80 years. If yours are older, it’s a good idea to ask a plumber for an inspection. PVC pipes may need to be replaced every 25-40 years.
- Inspect your water heater. Water heaters usually need to be replaced every 10 years. Learn more about signs that you might need a new water heater.
- Update your windows and doors. Watertight options are available with new doors and windows. Wood windows should be cleaned, repainted and stained every so often. Cracks should be resealed, and old glazing compounds should be replaced as needed.
- Replace washing machine supply hoses. As part of a proactive maintenance plan, replace every 3 to 5 years.
- Regularly inspect your roof. Look for loose or missing shingles, or any sign of damage. While up there, inspect your gutters to make sure leaves and debris have been removed and that the drain spout is properly attached.
Water damage in Chesapeake? Call SERVPRO® of Chesapeake North at 757-465-9700.