Clean Your Gutters Before the Storm
It’s officially storm season and with all this rain incoming now has never been a better time to make sure that your gutters are in working order. Here are some tips from us here at SERVPRO of Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Norfolk West, and Hampton North to help make sure your gutters are in tip-top shape before the storms.
- Your gutters should be cleaned at least twice a year, once before winter to make sure they’re clear of all the fallen leaves, and once after winter before the spring rain.
- It’s also a good idea to inspect your gutters and your roof after a heavy storm. Strong winds can blow debris into them and clog them up, or even cause damage to them so that they are not functioning properly.
- Make sure that your downspouts are secured and pointed away from your home. If your downspouts are not aimed correctly, you could be directing the water into pools around your foundation which can lead to flooding.
- You’ll also want to make sure that the downspouts are extended at least two feet from the home. This will also help to ensure that water does not pool around your foundation.
- Run water through your gutters after cleaning them to make sure that they are draining properly to the downspouts and that there are no areas where water is leaking out.
You can’t always prevent water damage from happening but following these tips will certainly help to reduce the probability of water entering your home. If you do experience a water damage emergency our team is available 24/7, 365 days a year to help make it “like it never even happened.”