Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
If you have damage from a home or business fire in Chesapeake, the experienced team at SERVPRO of Chesapeake North is ready to respond. Since we are locally owned and operated, we are prepared and able to respond quickly. Our immediate action and quick response can help limit and prevent further damage and help reduce restoration costs. Our crews are trained with specialized equipment and resources to handle the fire job, large or small, commercial or residential in our Chesapeake area.
When dealing with a fire loss, SERVPRO of Chesapeake North and our technicians understand that you may be feeling overwhelmed, confused, stressed and more than a little vulnerable. You and your family will be treated with kindness and your home or business with great care. Until help arrives, please refer to our Fire Damage Tips-Until Help Arrives Guide and follow these tips to protect yourself and your property. Call in the cleanup team to help make fire damage "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (757) 465-9700
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.